Monday, July 23, 2012

A twofer!

On Saturday I got to host a sweet baby shower for our friend Abby who will be meeting her sweet little Emily Claire by the end of August. I am just loving that our church is have a mass production of little girls lately. That means I get to have a sliver of pink and girlyness in my home though it is short lived. We had a tea party for Abby and Emily Claire and I whipped together some quick crafts for it. So, here is a twofer post. A two for one folks. First, cake bunting. SO.EASY & SO.CHEAP. Then, a Kahlua Cake. I have seen cake bunting sold on Etsy for around $15-20 buckaroos. I'm pretty sure it cost me less than 10 cents. Here is a quick way to decorate the top of your cake:

1. Find scrap paper and make a diamond template and fold in half to get a triangle pendant.
2. Put a strip of double sided tape on the inside.
3. Fold over string leaving a 1/4" gap between pendants

4. Use two kitchen skewers (these are from my kitchen drawer that we use to make kabobs). Maybe chopsticks would work as well?
5. Tie the end of the strings together and then double knot around skewers and voila! Cake bunting. You can monogram or embellish the pendants however you may like!

Now, the cake. I don't bake much. Like probably once a month if even that. I just don't have the time or desire to. I hope I get into it someday because I sure like eating baked goods! This is my moms recipe for Kahlua cake and it is amazing and simple. It's pretty much a dump cake....my kind of cake. Here is the recipe:
3/4 cup Kahlua or Coffee Liquor (if you don't have either you can just brew really dark coffee)
3/4 cup oil
1 box of dark chocolate cake mix
1 large box of chocolate pudding mix
4 eggs
1 16 oz carton of sour cream
6 oz of semi sweet chocolate morsels

Directions:
Dump it all in a bowl and mix well. Grease your bundt pan and poor in cake mixture. Bake at 350 for 1 hr. Let cool for 10 minutes and invert onto plate or cake stand. Once cool I top it off with powdered sugar. My mom has drizzled hers with chocolate sauce before - so good.


And here it is all in it's beauty. A Kahlua cake has been bunted :)
More shower pictures to come!

Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment