Wednesday, June 20, 2012

East Coast Travels: Queens, Manhattan & The Bronx, New York

While we were visiting our family in Connecticut we were slowly realizing we could see Long Island, NY from their beach and it dawned on us that we were much closer to NY than realized. My geography for the East Coast is pretty bad, actually embarrassing. I really thought New York was more North. All the states seemed stacked on one another over there. While going to NY we drove through a little piece of New Jersey and on our way back to Boston from Connecticut we drove through all of Rhode Island. That just doesn't happen over here on the West Coast! When my brother in-law Scott told us we were only 1 1/2 - 2 hrs from downtown Manhattan we had to go! Well, I had to go and Justin went along with my excitement of "I've never been to NEW YORK!" I had no idea what this state had to offer. I was pretty sure it would be like an overgrown Seattle but I was ridiculously wrong. New York should be it's own country. There is so much to do and see and there are over 18 million people in New York city alone (that's 6 times the amount of people in the whole state of Oregon). WOW. We were a little crazy to drive in downtown NYC but it was an experience we won't forget. Justin did awesome. We were covered in a sea of Taxi's. Here are some of the pictures I took from the car. Next time we visit we will Amtrak down and spend a day or two walking through the city. I can't believe we were so close to the Statue of Liberty and didn't get to see it! Ahhhh. Next time!

Driving through The Bronx:
An entrance to Grand Central Park with another yummy looking food stand: 
 I believe this is close to where the Twin Towers stood:
Some big building across the street:
Taxis, Taxis and some more Taxis:
Next trip: A stroll through Grand Central Park (isn't the scene from You've Got Mail where Tom Hanks and Meg Ryan meet up at the end at the bench in Grand Central Park?...if so, I want to find it), see the Statue of Liberty, actually go into Bloomingdale's, go to Brooklyn, and a lot more that I don't even know exists! Fun to say I've been to New York!


Pin It

2 comments:

  1. Looks like such a fun trip! I'm extremely jealous :]

    Molly

    ReplyDelete
  2. So the "some big building" is the building where John Lennon lived...the top floor I believe. :) Or at least that's what a tour guide told me once.

    ReplyDelete