Saturday, December 8, 2012

healthy breakfast cookies

We made these yesterday morning and I've forgotten how much my boys like them and how quick they go! Our batch made 18 and they were gone by the evening. No joke. If they were regular cookies I would have freaked out about it and controlled the situation better but since they are healthy (well healthy in our book) I let the boys help themselves to them throughout the day. They are super easy, dense and you can't complain about the ingredients your kiddos are consuming (no wheat and no egg...I know some need to stay away from both of those). Here is the recipe that we tend to alter always throwing something new in!

After making them exactly like the recipe card vs. making them yesterday morning, I definitely love our newest version. I switched out the 1/2 cup of raisins for cranberries, threw in a handful of chocolate chips and a 1/3 cup finely chopped pecans. This recipe is a great way to use all those bananas you put in the freezer that were on the verge of going bad. Also, the first batch needs a full 20 minutes (in my oven at least) and the next batch is a little quicker. I use my pampered chef cookie stone so I don't need to grease it and it keeps an even temperature among the cookies. I tend to burn the bottom of cookies with my regular cookie sheets.
 Here they are ready to go into the oven...
 My little munchkins wait so patiently for breakfast in the morning. We watch and watch and watch....
 and make robot costumes out of cardboard boxes while they keep baking...

and then we devour!
The possibilities are endless with this recipe. You can throw in some flax seed or wheat germ. Switch out your apple sauce with a flavored apple sauce. Use white chocolate chips, add another type of nut or more dried fruit, etc. My next batch I plan on adding a good amount of coconut to them. Yum!

Enjoy!


Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment